This week, I learned that the design to an article is equally important to the content in drawing in an audience. If the article is only one large block of words, not many people will want to read it because it looks unappealing to the eye. However, if you separate the chunk into paragraphs; add headings, bullet points, and numbered lists where needed; and incorporate other multimedia modes such as pictures and videos, the article looks more pleasing to the eye. Thus, more people will be interested in the article and want to read what you wrote. This lesson further adds on to the lesson of having one main idea per paragraph that we learned earlier on during the year. If there are too many points of focus in a single paragraph, the reader could get confused, worn out, and lose interest. Thus, it is better to split a piece of writing into many paragraphs. I will use the lesson that I learned this week in order to make my pieces and my e-portfolio more interesting to the readers and maximize the appeal to the audience.
For the revision of my Wikipedia article, I will need to go through my writing and check the main ideas of each paragraph. I will need to make sure that the transitions between each main idea is smooth. If not, I will need to add something in order to ensure a better transition between ideas to create a good flow for my article. I need to also make sure that the paragraphs are fitted to the proper audience and discourse community. In addition, I will need to check where I incorporated the names of articles and figure whether or not I will need them to appease this discourse community. Another point that I need to check is the use of citations. I have to double-check the places in my article where I may have missed citations with footnotes such as after quotations and add them to the end of the quote.